Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Books by My Bedside

I always seem to be reading many books at once. Each night I get under the sheets, I need something different depending on how I am feeling. Escapist? Instructional? Let me share what I am reading now with you:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield- just started it but already it is a haunting tale of a reclusive author who decides to confide all to a young woman. My book club is reading this!

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson-the fulfillment of a promise a mountain climber makes to a Paki village to return and build a school. Very moving so far!

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert—Just finished this. Really recommend her growth- filled journey through Italy (best part-involved lots of eating!), India (slow going), and lastly, Indonesia (uplifting). It has been on the New York Times bestseller list for a reason!

Rao’s Cookbook by Frank Pellegrino-the author owns the famous NYC restaurant where a select few have a reservation for the same table, same day of the week for life. True! And impossible to get into! My hairdresser is related to him and cannot get in!

Tennis for Dummies by Patrick McEnroe-Yep. My husband plays, my eldest daughter made Varsity All League this fall, my son and youngest play…and I am still at beginner level. Still! I’m not telling any family member I am reading this because I should understand it all by now but I don’t. I mean, what is a slice? I will not let them know I don’t really have a clue what this is. I do a good job at pretending I know. So I am sneaking the book.

I Wish I Had Duck Feet by Dr. Seuss- to read with my 7 year old daughter. You just can’t beat a good Dr. Seuss book!



Here’s an invitation from my youngest daughter to snuggle and read:


We spray the pillows…. and snuggle in!

What book is on your bedside? Please share!

15 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Oh Tara, that note from your daughter is such a precious treasure! I hope you keep those dear little scrawled notes with the adorable spelling because some day she will grow up and spell everything right! My girls are 17 and 19 and I wish I had saved every scrap of those dear little notes. I miss the little babes they used to be.

Unknown said...

Tara,

Your basket of books is so orderly. I have messy stacks (tipping over) next to my bed! You have inspired my to find a basket and tidy up. I read Eat, Pray, Love too. I agree the India part a little slow...I am currently reading 3 books at once. The Jane Austen Book Club, Mansfield Park, and French Women Don't Get Fat!
Annie

Rhondi said...

Hi Tara
Thanks for stopping by. How precious that your daughter wants a reading date with you. My daughter is 25 but I have fond memories of reading with her. Books are so wonderful aren't they? Books on my bedside tableright now are : Bible, Waking the Dead by John Eldridge, The Vineyard by Barbara Delinsky, The New Years Quilt by Jennifer Chiavierini, The Creative Call by Betty Elsheimer.
Enjoy the day. Rhondi

Jessi Nagy said...

this is just the sweetest thing! i love snuggle read time! my kids are teenagers and i still make them come snuggle and read with me!
jessi

Anonymous said...

Tara, that note from your daughter is a treasure! Don't you just love those? Makes starting over with parenting worth every minute! :-)

xo
melissa

Gina said...

What a little sweet-heart to write you that note!

Love your basket of books!

I've been playing tennis since I was 10 {27 years] so shoot any Qs my way! A slice is when you have an angle on the racket and hit through in a downwards motion rather than hitting it with your racket straight and a slice will create backspin. :O)

On my bedside are dog training books - I have a mischievous puppy!
Also: Falling Cloudberries cookbook by Tessa Kiros {she also did Apples for Jam}
Gx

pve design said...

love your reading list, several of those I did in fact read, keeping good company!
adore that precious note. what a treasure to frame and give to her when she is a mom.
my sweetie is 8 and it keeps getting better!
(Friday night knitters club) new book.

oliver rain said...

I usually have a selection of books and magazines. Right now I have Eat Pray Love, which I'm so enjoying. I allow myself one chapter each night to make it last longer. I also have the latest issue of Domino Magazine.

Sandi McBride said...

I love your reading list...right now I am reading Dean Koontz The Darkest Evening of the Year and Patricia Cornwell Unnatural Exposure...I'm in Foxfire (V) now...it's taken me years to get through them, but have learned alot!
Sandi

Unknown said...

Tara, oh what lovely reads. I am glad that I am not the only one who wants to read several books at the same time. Never enough books, never enough hours in the day to read them all. I love the image of your little one, sweet aromas and snuggling.

You are invited to a World-Wide Giveaway. How nice...just in time for Valentine’s Day. Stop by my post today and leave a comment to enter mine, and follow the yellow brick road to the links to skatey-eight bloggers from around the world who are participating. Have a lovely day. Blessings, Karen

Cottage Contessa said...

I can relate completely to having numerous books going at once depending upon your mood at the time. I have everything from history books, travel, romance, biographies, how to books, and magazines. Sweet note from your daughter, those things are the most treasured in my book!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Deb said...

I love the little Yes/No note left by the bedside :-} How adorable! Next to my bed I have Simple Abundance and The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude, Apples for Jam (I read cookbooks like novels) :-} and a stack of magazines!

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh Tara, I read several books at once too. Right now I have a stack of decorating magazines by the bed, and Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore, but I'm getting ready to start in on the "Know Thyself" pictured on my blog today, and an old Erma Bombeck book. I love the note your daughter left you. xo Rachel

Beth Leintz said...

That note is SO SWEET- (I hope you said yes :)). I love hearing about other people's reading stacks. I have four books scattered around my bed in various stages of being read- The Great Train Robbery by Michael Critton- it's an oldie but I really like some of his books in the mid 90's- Jurasic Park, Disclosure; I Captured the Castle by Dodie Smith- another modern classic; A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber- fluffy love stories set among a yarn store in Seattle; The Art of Collecting- Lynn Perrella- just out book of art and collections.

I've heard of Rao's resturant for years- mostly from Bo Dietl who was on Imus- and I've always been curious, but didn't know there was a book- so I'm putting it on reserve at the library.

Tara said...

Beth-the recipes are lucious!