Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter Sleepy

They say in Old Provence, in the beginning of the last century, before the world wars, there was a practice in the countryside of repos hiver (winter rest). This was a rest based on less light, more time around the fire, and literally a slowing of the pulse as the countryside became more dormant. Researchers actually found the pulse of these Frenchmen and women lower in winter. Somewhat catatonic!

And isn't this how I am feeling after the busy holiday season? I want to hunker down and stay under blankets until the first peek of spring. I find this time of year I am longing for comfort food. There's nothing really wrong in our little corner, I just yearn for food that makes me feel warm inside, loved from a pot on my stove...that's why I adore this recipe, Baked Fish with Tomatoes. It will comfort you and, hey, maybe even lower your cholesterol (and pulse!)


Baked Fish with Tomatoes

6 fish fillets
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup olives, chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tbs. lime juice


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease shallow baking dish large enough to hold fillets in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In bowl, stir together thyme, oil, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, and lime juice. Spoon tomato mixture over fish and bake uncovered in middle of oven 15-20 minutes until fish flakes with fork. Lay down on kitchen couch while it is cooking with a blanket and the day's paper, taking in the good smells. You can be lazy AND a good cook! Bon appetite!

13 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Tara

This sounds delicious! I love all kinds of fish and this sounds like it would be a great way to cook cod fish or tilepia.

Yes, I do feel the winter hibernation coming on ...kinda cozy in a way!

Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

Tara,
I long for comfort food too! It is hard to shed pounds with comfort food though...is there such a thing as diet mac and cheese?

xo..

annie

Deb said...

Oh I am copying down this recipe to try Tara - thankyou! It looks delicious & I have all the ingredients in the house :-)

Susie Q said...

This sounds so good Tara! We al love fish and enjoy trying recipes. I will be copying this down straight away!

Happy new year to you and to your family! Many blessings dear heart!

Love,
Sue

Unknown said...

My dear Tara, I want to try this recipe for sure, I just had lunch and I am hungry again :D

Tracy said...

Wonderful fish dish, Tara...very comforting, but healthy for winter. I feel a bit as you do...a little like wanting to hibernate a bit--LOL! So hunker down and be cozy, if you want to! :o) Thanks for taking a break from your hibernation to visit though! ;o) ((HUGS))

Kathleen Grace said...

I can relate to that! I fall asleep on the sofa every night around 8 pm. Ugh, I hate this time of year! The fish looks really good and I have been looking for a new way to prepare it. Thanks for the recipe:>)

pve design said...

Just yesterday, my children were home from school, it was a Snow day - but only rained. I lit the fire early and on my morning dash, a lady said to me - "Today is
a day that you want to stay home and have something on the stove or in the oven" and here you have the perfect recipe! Thanks for sharing!
See "Bedtime Stories" with your girl, we went and loved it. It is a happy, feel good movie!

Sandi McBride said...

Sounds an awful lot like Catfish Stew, lol! Looks good, though I'm not fond of fish soups, Mac is...I should make this for him...I probably will...it's how I show my love for him, prepare something I don't like myself!
hugs
Sandi

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I find myself wanting to linger in bed in the mornings at this time of year. There must be something to that. The fish recipe is right up our alley and will be tried tonight.
♥, Susan

Janet said...

Tara,

If you slouch on the couch (instead of lying) you could enjoy a glass of red wine while enjoying the blanket, paper and aromas.

I'm just always thinking of taking comfort one step further.

Janet

Donna said...

Oh this one sounds delicious, Tara! I must try it. I love comfort food, especially this time of year.

Kathi said...

Oh I relate to this post. I love the slower pace and gentle quiet times around the fire. Thank you for this recipe. Kathi