Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Clams and 6 Unimportant Things

Summer is for grilling! Here's a great recipe for steamed clams on the bbq. This summer my son is working for one of the last clam companies around. He brought home 3 dozen the other night and I remembered a recipe I had clipped out of the New York Times. It was easy, tasted excellent, and is a more healthy alternative to butter!

Heat grill to medium fire. In a 13 x 9 pan, mix 2 cups white wine, half cup olive oil, juice of one lemon, thinly sliced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, half teaspoon of each: paprika, thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper. Add clams.

Grill littleneck clams about 20-30 minutes until shells open, dip in broth. Serve in deep platter with all the juices! My family was licking their fingers over this one!

Pat from Mille Fiori Favoriti tagged me for 6 Unimportant Things. Here goes:
1. Whenever my husband is driving the car and we are with the kids and hit a tunnel, I pretend I have suddenly fallen asleep. Drives my kids crazy.
2. I am reading a REALLY funny book by Sloane Crosley called, I Was Told There'd Be Cake. Essays on her take on life, this will most certainly soon be on the best seller lists. Just a good chuckle and don't we all need that!
3. This is my last week of work. I cannot wait to wake up and not have anywhere to go! No lunches to be made-yeah!
4. Everytime I go to our favorite Italian restaurant I order spaghetti and meatballs. My mother, who is Italian, tells me any self respecting Italian would never eat a meatball out. Oh, well. I am also Irish -so there.
5. I rarely food shop. My husband loves to. I do not care what he brings home!
6. OK, I am not a fan of clams...but you had to read until the end to see that! The kids and my husband loved the clams, I dipped bread into the sauce and it was good!
Thanks, Pat, this was fun. Sometimes it's the unimportant things in our lives that make us so human! :0)

21 comments:

Donna said...

Oh my word, that sounds fabulous! I love anything grilled but never tried clams.
Hugs,
Donna

Mary said...

I am not a fan of clams, either. As far as I'm concerned, this little bit of doggerel says it all:

"Twas a brave man that first et a clam!"

(nb: "et" is the Yankee pronunciation of "ate.")

Loved reading all about you! :)
xoxo,
Mary

Just A Girl said...

Hi Tara,
I'm with you on the clam thing! I started reading the recipe and it sounded good until you added the clams. Maybe chicken would be a good substitute. When ever my hubby and I go through a tunnel I make him honk...how original.
It was fun reading your tag.
Have a good time during your last week of school.
:) Cori

Janet said...

Don't care for clams either, but my hubby loves them. As far as I am concerned he can order them out.

Janet

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Having grown up eating all kinds of fish and shellfish -- I LOVE CLAMS :-) My father's favorite leisure time activity was fishing, so we often had to eat what he caught, and we'd often go clamming too. Your recipe sounds delicious!

Fun facts about you, Tara! I, too, can't believe you order spaghetti and meatballs when you go out! Ack!

Enjoy your summer off!

Hugs, Pat

Sandi McBride said...

I love steamed clams and mussels...yum!!! Looks good...I love the book title...hugs
Sandi

Angela said...

YUMMY.. What time should I be there for the next clam bake!!!??? *giggles*

Cottage Contessa said...

I'm not a clam lover either, but I did enjoy reading your 6 things Tara! Thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll have to check that one out as I could use a laugh right about now. Hope you're having a fabulous day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Anonymous said...

I have never cooked or grilled clams but your recipe sounds like a great one for dipping bread in. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, in the good old days I used to devour clams on the half shell at the clam bakes on Long Island. I never did grill them, but it sounds good. There is this little Italian place in Hoboken where they serve clams and muscles in green sauce, it looks so bad, but it is soooo good! Karen

Rue said...

Good morning Tara :)

I can't stand clams or oysters, but I'll eat any other fish. It must be the slime factor LOL

Great meme :)

rue

Unknown said...

Love reading about you Tara....
I love the little funny things that you do to make the kids laugh!

I am with you on the clams....


annie

Susie Q said...

I am no the biggest fan of clams but I do eat them on occasion. The rest of the family loves them so this recipe sounds wonderful!
The book sounds like one I would love!
I loved reading your list...that was fun! I always love learning a little more about my bloggy friends!

Have a sweet weekend!

Love,
Sue

Have

Anonymous said...

The clam concept looked tasty. I just have never gotten one past my nose. Thanks for visiting my new blog. I have been enjoying your pictures and writing for some time now. Have a great weekend!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am not a clam fan either - but I bet that would be good with shrimp, left in their shells too...
Penny

Tracy said...

You are so funny, Tara! A very fun post--great to read your 6 things and have a good laugh! I must say I love clams...been 100 years since I had some grilled though...mmm...Happy weekend to you & yours ((HUGS)) Oh, and thanks so much for you comment, and great to hear abourt your son's trip! Hope he has a grand time in Norway!

Just A Girl said...

Hi Tara,
I'm glad you like my new look, but I changed it again. Too much white was making me nuts so I changed the header and background color.
What are you going to do to yours? I keep ttrying to hear your music but I think my speakers aren't working...hee! hee!
Have a fun evening
Cori

Betty said...

Oh my! I like my clams in chowder but maybe I'll try your recipe. You should get extra point for cooking them something that you don't really like!

Life on the Edge said...

I don't think I have ever eaten clams, but with the way you fixed them, I think i'd try them!

Sounds like a great time with family!

Kady

Magnolia Street Style said...

I can take clams in small doses. That recipe sounds delicious, just add some pasta and that's a meal. I have to laugh about the 6 Unimportant Things list. Your mother is right on #4. Being that all of my grandparents were born in Italy and made everything from scratch, I would never eat a meatball (or sauce) in a restaurant unless Italians own it.

Unknown said...

Interesting reading too!! Love clams but we dont have such huge ones here :)