Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Another year for reflection!
Somehow as the years pass by, birthdays sneak up on you like an unwanted guest at a party; you see her  across the room, take a couple of special steps to avoid confronting her and sharing pleasantries, and just as you're busy at the buffet, grabbing another stuffed mushroom canape, Miss Birthday sneaks up along side your ear and whispers, "It's so nice to see you again!" And there you are, caught, having to confront another two digit number right in the face. Darn her!

When my family asked me what I wanted for my Happy To You, I really didn't know and came up empty. Cousins called and invited me out for cosmopolitans. What Birthday Girl could say no? But as I was driving home from a night of delicious red liquid beset in triangular glasses, I was beating myself up for not starting at least some laundry to make the weekend easier for myself!

Berating myself under my breath, I opened the door and I came upon the best present ever! A clean house! Cleaned by my dear girls and their Dad!
They straightened up the livingroom...

Shined up all the glass in the diningroom...

And waxed the bedrom furniture!

I even had a wonderful note on my bed pillow: "Sweet dreams about cheese..."
What else could a Birthday Girl ask for? Well,  my DH said he was running out for milk to be sure we had enough for the day...
and he came home with my College son! He had taken the train from Manhattan to visit his Mom for the weekend (and to go surfing, of course...)

"And isn't it nice to see you, again!", I'll say at next year's buffet when I meet Miss Birthday. "You know, you can put your two digits away, my dear...birthdays aren't about that, they're about the people who love you and the gifts they give you from the heart...care for another mushroom canape and a cosmo?"
Maybe, Miss Birthday, you are not such an unwanted guest after all! :0)

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a very happy birthday!!!

Betty said...

Tara, Happy, happy birthday!! I hint that all I would like for my birthday is for someone else to clean house for me. My family has never taken me up on it. Lucky you! That really is a wonderful gift....and no my house isn't a major mess...I just wish someone else would clean it once in awhile, LOL

Presépio no Canal said...

Happy Birthday!!!

What a wonderful day! ;-) Such a beautiful family! And great wisdom words! ;-) Enjoy your day;-)

BernieH said...

Such a lovely post ... belated Happy Birthday! What a wonderful gift ... so thoughtful. You home looks beautiful and it sounds like you had a terrific day!

Thanks for popping by to visit my 'Honest Scrap' post, and no ... the skill of playing the piano did not 'come right back'! I'm still holding out for the elephant, but I think time's running out on that one,Lol!

Alison Gibbs said...

Tara, sounds like you had the Perfect Birthday. Time to stop worrying about the numbers - cos age is just a number.
Alison

pve design said...

Happy Birthday to you! I think each year is to be embraced like an old friend, and to celebrate the little things that bring one joy, be it with friends, family or just dreams of cheese!!! I loved that, it made me smile.
pve

Janet said...

Happy Birthday Tara, sounds like your family knows just how to please you!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy birthday dear Tara! xxoo

It looks like you had a wonderful time with your family...the very best way to celebrate!

Have a very happy brithday week and enjoy it all!

♥ Pat

My Little Part of Heaven said...

Happy Birthday, Tara!!!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Happy Birthday Tara!! You are in good company here...we feel the same about birthdays. Wonderful surprise to have your son for the weekend.
♥, Susan

Donna said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Tara!! Looks like you had a wonderful one.

Hugs,
Donna

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Tara :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Tara, As far as I am concerned that's the best birthday gift...how very thoughtful of your sweeties. When I was younger and my kids were little, as a special treat for me I would hire a cleaning service and while they were at the house and the kids were at school, I would have lunch with the girls and play tennis and go shopping. To come home to a clean house was so special.

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y!!

My husband's birthday is this month too. I bought him something I have really been wanting..LOL

Barbara said...

Tara, What a wonderful gift...sorry I am so late wishing you a Happy Birthday, but I can tell it was a great one.

Barbara

Gina said...

oh dear I'm a week late..but belated best wishes ..glad to hear you had a special one :) Gxoxox

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

what a wonderful birthday!!! Happy Birthday!

TAA said...

Happy happy birthday! May you have more birthdays to come.
God bless you always.

Lisa said...

Good grief, I missed your special day! Happy Belated and a million wishes for many more!

Kathleen said...

I am sorry I missed your birthday, Tara! Today is our 40th wedding anniv. I posted my wedding pic..LOL