Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Brookgreen Gardens

Come along on the next leg of our trip! We meandered through the Brookgreen Gardens in Pawley’s Island, SC, just north of Charleston where we were visiting friends. If you can, take a moment to click on the link, this garden is astounding! In 1931, northerners Anna and Archer Harrington purchased Brookgreen plantation—over 9,000acres of swampland, ricelands and marsh

“Originally, their plan was to establish a winter home overlooking the wide, blue Atlantic, but the beauty and history of the land quickly transformed their modest intention into something more grand. In 1931, they organized a non-profit institution with a lofty mission: providing a showcase for American figurative sculpture within a refuge for native plants and animals. A year later, they opened Brookgreen to the public. It is the first sculpture garden in the United States and designated as a National Historic Landmark”.

We loved everything but let’s start with a stroll in the sculpture garden. Many of the sculptures were created by Mrs. Harrington. This one is called Mother and Child-

These bronze sculptures were so lifelike...
Here's one of Mrs. Harrington's...
Loved the girl here...
This one was particularly awesome...
The garden interior...


One last statue (my eldest daughter): "OK, Mom, enough of the sculptures already!" I think the girls spent alot of time dragging me away from places!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Tara, these gardens look amazing. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and you sound so rested and excited. Blessings, Karen

Alison Gibbs said...

What amazing gardens. Love the sculptures.
Glad you had a great time.
Alison

Unknown said...

beautiful sculptures, so life like :)

kelly said...

very cool-i love SC!

Siobhan said...

Hi Tara,
Sorry I havent been around in a while...took a bit of a break...needed some time off the computer! Im sure you know how it gets :)
What a beautiful place this is... Love it!
Siobhan xo

A Romantic Porch said...

I loved the tour. I didn't know about this landmark! Thanks for sharing. xoRachel

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I viewed the website and was amazed by the beauty there! It must have been so lovely with all the spring flowers and trees budding. The sculptures are wonderful too! Great photos!

The last one of your daughter made me laugh...I remember that "Oh MOM!" annoyance form my daughter, too! :-)

Hugs, pat

Cottage Contessa said...

Beautiful statues Tara, but I think the last photo is my favourite sweetie! (wink)
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

bluemuf said...

Tara, the sculptures are so lovely. What a beautiful garden

Karen

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Those statues are amazing!

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Wow, I want those sculptures for my garden!!!
Alicia ~ time worn style

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a lovely sculpture garden. I particularly enjoyed the squirrels. That would fit in quite nicely on our property. :-) Rosie

Betty said...

What a beautiful tour! I love that mother and child sculpture!

Sandi McBride said...

Oh Tara, how homesick you made me! Charleston, St Johns' Island, Pawley's Island...all stomping grounds in my mispent youth...how I love the photos that bring my memories so much clearer...
Sandi

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Tara!
What a beautiful place! I'm sure you wanted to linger and linger!
Hugs, Sherry

Angela said...

An absolutely gorgeous place isn't it? :-). I could get lost forever in that place (if they didn't come kick me out) *LOL*.

cindy said...

Tara,
What beautiful photos. I've been to Brookgreen Gardens twice while on vacation. It is amazing, not only the fabulous sculptures but also the variety and info on plant life. Just loved it as you did too.
Thanks for reminding me!
Cindy

Life on the Edge said...

Found your blog from the Lavender Hill Studio blog. Just had to check it out because my daughter is also named Tara! Glad I found your blogspot! Those sculptures are amazing! There is a similar type of garden in northwest Ohio that has 6 acres of gardens and sculptures. It really is amazing that people come up with such wonderful places!

Come visit my new blog if you'd like!

Gina said...

Amazing sculptures! Especially love the fountain :O)

Lori said...

Tara, What a neat place! great post! Lori

Susie Q said...

These look just amazing...I know you all had a most wonderful time!

Love,
Sue