Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

Thriftin' in The Hamptons

This past weekend we took a drive to The Hamptons, otherwise known to us locals as the East End. Playground of the rich and famous, I had always wanted to go try thrifting here to see if it's possible to nab a good buy.
The first of the Hamptons, Southampton, is home to an incredible thrift store/consignment shop...
Let's take a walk inside to see what goodies there are! Pass the foreboding looking lion...
And step right in! With The Hamptons crowd lulling in winter, our store is only open on Saturdays!
I could not get over the prices...and neither will you! This gorgeous lemon colored couch...$400.00! It was so well made, the stitching was incredible (I HAD to inspect the pillows, of course!) Could I get it home??
This mahogony diningset...with 8 chairs covered in pink silk striping...$650.00! I was mentally rearranging my diningroom to fit everything! (Imagine me calling home: "Honey, can you borrow a truck...").This lovely dollhouse, with all the little girl trimmings, $250.00. The wallpaper and furniture were incredible!
This pine sideboard was $500.00...
This neat gravy boat $20.00...

$400.00 for this large sideboard...wouldn't it look great in a kitchen with a big blank wall??

In the end, I did not end up with any of these gorgeous pieces as I really do not have the room anywhere! But look at that, even in one very expensive real estate area, you can find a bargain if you look hard enough!

Now--which one would you choose? :0)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Tara, that's a lot of beautiful stuff there, and it looks not expensive to me..even after the currency conversion. Furniture is always expensive here, love that sideboard..if only I could ship it home..but I'll have no place to put it too ;p

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Tara! I think I am going to have to make a pilgrimage to the East End. I live in NJ but am a "native" Long Island girl, and my parents' house is in Southold on the North Fork, on Peconic Bay. They are in assisted living, so we "kids" take care of it. Next time I'm out, I'm going across the Bay and check out that Southampton shop! My sister and Mom and aunt and I once got tossed out of a Southampton antiques shop for giggling too much! Loved your post, and LOVE that big cupboard! Cass

Tracy said...

Such fun...thanks for taking us along, Tara! Not sure what I would choose either...as we have not more room for anything either in our cozy little house--LOL! Happy Days ((HUGS))

bj said...

Ummm, nice pieces. I couldn't put another stick of furniture in my cottage if I tried...I sure do like that big cabinet, tho!!
I just watched a tv movie the other night "A Murder In The Hamptons" which I thought of when I saw the title of your post....
xo bj

Dawn Marie said...

no way! this makes me MAD! around here in my little town in Wisconsin they would have all that priced so insane. the couch would be probably 1500...the dining set--probably 2000 or more...and the rest--similar price range. people around here think they have diamonds in their belongings, but its mostly the estate sale owners that do this. I dont go that often anymore to sales because we walk out shaking our heads. We are hoping to hit New York within the year--and I'm going to make sure and stop here.

Just A Girl said...

Hi Tara,

This looks like a great place to go thrifting! Too bad I'm so far away otherwise I would love to join you.
Have a fun week!

xo Cori

Lisa said...

Oh my, what a great place! I would definitely squeeze that pine sideboard in somewhere. Likely my new abode when the husband tossed me to the curb, but hey a girl can dream can't she? HA!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Tara!

Oh boy I'd love to go poke around in that shop! I don't go that far east on Long Island that often, and usually only to the outlets in Riverhead.
The only problem is I wouldn't be able to get anything home (no truck) and my little house has no room. :-(

If I ahd room I'd LOVE to buy the white sideboard for my dream kitchen!

Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

Oooooh, I didn't want this post to end. My mother worked and lived out in South Hampton and East Hampton for many years. I be these are steals, because the decorators out there charge thousands of dollars for everything.

This looks like a fun trip, I would have loved to have been there.

Karen

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Hi - I just discovered your site through your comment on The Inspired Room! Nice to "meet you" - I'll be back!
Toma, aka The Antiques Diva

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Which would I choose? How about ALL of the above! LOL! Loved this! Those really are some great deals on quality pieces. Thanks for taking us with you. I loved this shop! :-)

And BTW, I know you popped in for a visit this morning, but did you see your cookies in my Monday post? I paid homage to them. ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Donna said...

Oooooh, I love that big old sideboard. Wish I had room for it!
Looks like a great shop with good prices.

Have a great day, Tara!

Anonymous said...

Man oh man, I would love to hit that shop, not that I need anything but still...it's always fun to look. How are you doing Tara? Hope your week is going great. ~ Lynn

Anonymous said...

The sideboard!!! I even have the perfect place for it! Alas, by the time I added in shipping it to Michigan I might as well go shop locally ya know? oh well - it was fun to imagine ;) thanks!

Roses and Lilacs said...

I enjoyed seeing the bargains that can be had even in the Hamptons;)

Going back over previous posts we have much in common--a lot of different interests. You have a great blog.
Marnie

Kathleen said...

I pass there almost every day and have gone in! I will go look someday!