Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tree Hug

Sometimes its the massiveness of life that blows you away. The scale in nature can hold you so profoundly.

On a recent walk in our arboretum, we came across this massive weeping willow near our beloved river. Contemplating its portly mass, it's hard to imagine the years of growth. While I learned to ride a bike as a child, the willow was here. Graduating from high school and wondering where life's trails would lead me, it was still here in its spot by the river. The year my husband and I became engaged, again it was here during our visit to find a background for our wedding pictures.

And today, 25 years later, as I stroll with my youngest daughter, like a sentinel, the willow remains perched for our pleasure.  We snuck under her limbs to admire the labyrinth inside, to sneak in a Mommy-daughter hug, enveloped in her protection. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a willow that big. They are such pretty trees but here in Australia they are regarded as a 'noxious weed' because of the damage they do to our waterways (they're not a native species.)

Kate

Alison Gibbs said...

Wow that is huge!!
Alison

Sandi McBride said...

What a welcome back to Blogland! Loved this. LOVED IT!!!
massive willow hugs
Sandi

Spot said...

that tree is clearly an elderly ent

Spot said...

ps should you be feeding children to it?

Kathleen said...

Hi Tara!
Summer's over for you! It went so quickly, it always does!
Happy school year to you!
PS check out Blogger's new spam guard. It allows you to lose the i d thing!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Tara!

What a beautiful tree and lovely post! I hope you have a happy new school year!

Hugs, Pat

pve design said...

Reminds me of the "little shop of horrors!"
Wow what a plant.... I mean tree!
Happy to see you are enjoying your summer -
pve

bj said...

Hi, Tara...this is a lovely post.:)
I hope things are good in your world..I've missed ya!!
xo bj

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Tara!

What a great post... we all have that special tree, special place, that holds the history of ourselves and has watched our lives unfold. Your weeping willow is awesome!
I've really enjoyed catching up and adored your birthday post (I'm not too far behind am I?) the note on your pillow, bringing your son home on a trip to "pick up milk", how absolutely endearing!!

Glad we made it through the hot summer! Hugs, Sherry

Betty said...

We had a willow tree in my parent's yard growing up and when the house was sold the new owner cut it down. I have so many memories that involve that tree. I'm glad yours is still standing!!

supra shoes said...

Hug a tree, sit on the grass.