Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Metropolitan Museum of Art , NYC

Off from school last week, we forayed into Manhattan for a mini-vacation. To live so close to this incredible metropolis is truly a treat! If you ever get to New York City, do spend the day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

And it will be all day! The middle of my mosaic shows the Temple of Dendur, a fully reconstructed Egyptian temple given to the US. In one of the small frames to the left you'll see examples of the temple's hieroglyphics. The Met has this life-sized exhibit in an atrium overlooking Central Park. Gorgeous!
Another favorite stop shown in the lower left: the Greek Gallery. Streaming with light, it's so peaceful to examine these statues celebrating the uniqeuness of the human form.

There's Modern Art at the museum also. You can see my girls contemplating a Jackson Pollack painting. Viewing the strength of his drippings on such a large canvas is overwhelming! 

The upper right hand corner shows the facade of the American Wing. It is filled with actual rooms from original American homes and beautifully crafted furniture from all over the world.

Truly, there's something for everyone at the Met! And the best part? It is one of the least expensive treats in NYC...a small donation is requested at entrance but the best part was--last week admission was free for families! :0)

Now that's what I call a great mini-vacation!

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Yes, Tara, you are correct...what a pleasure to visit there. I have been twice and wish I could go more.

Barbara

Carol said...

That's a fabulous trip to the city! I love the Met, haven't been in ages! You got such fantastic shots!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful mosaic, and I love your music. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is my favorite place to go. When I lived on the upper east side, I used to go there all the time, and visit a little ice cream place around the block for a hot fudge sundae.

Karen

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great mosaic and very informative. Only been through New York. Would love to visit one day.

pve design said...

We must meet there one day! I am a frequent visitor!!
pve

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love the Metropolitan Museum Tara! It always has such wonderful special exhibits and just sitting outside of the steps is wonderful for "people watching" :-)

Your photos and mosaics are fantastic! I love the photo of the muses.

♥ Pat

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

So nice dropping by to view your beautiful collection of MMA photos in your mosaic. Lovely!

Sure glad to hear Tucker is feeling lots better... are you sure it wasn't he who ate the brownies :)

Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving your comment!
Kindly, ldh

Snap said...

Fabulous! I'd love to live so close. You are lucky! Wonderful mosaic.

Meri said...

Free days are always such a treat. What a good thing to do with children -- and my "verification" word is apropos of introducing children to art: mentr. Mentoring children in creativity is a most worthy mission in life.

Unknown said...

Looks so interesting, wish I could go there one day. Happy week Tara ;)

Anne Chisholm said...

I find the Metropolitan Museum of Art overwhelming - so much to take in - so little time. We finally decided to put it on our agenda every time we visit NYC and allow ourselves time to enjoy one room at a time. It is such a great museum.

Low Tide High Style said...

How nice to live so close to such beautiful art! Your mosaic is beautiful!

Kat :)

Donna said...

It's wonderful to see these photos! I wish I lived close to the Met.