Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Only Decorating Tip I Know & Oscar Winner!

I wish I were like Melissa at The Inspired Room, Felicity of All Things Bright And Beautiful or Linda from Restyled Home. They have such flair! Such knowledge! Not possessing either, I am going to share with you the only decorating tip I know!

I can do only one thing well—I can hang a very straight picture! Something to be said for that, right? Here’s what I do!

Remember the plaque and shelf in my little girl’s room from last week’s post? Here’s how I was able to hang it perfectly.



First, make a newspaper template of the item. This plaque had hooks in the middle of the plaque (such a pain!). With a scissors, I made a small hole in the newspaper template where I could feel the hooks…



Small hole here... Then I made a template of the shelf to hang below the plaque…again, nail holes were in the middle of the shelf back…I made the holes in the template…






Now I tape the plaque and shelf templates to the wall…



I use a level to make sure the newspaper templates are straight…if not, I readjust the tape trying to get level …


Once both templates are level I put nails in the holes I made on the templates with the scissors (I needed molly screws to hold the shelf…)

I remove the templates…Look! Only one nail hole!

Then I hang the items and—ta da! Perfect without a thousand nail holes in the freshly painted wall! (My husband likes that part!)

And here's the finished product! OK, I’d like to say you could tune in for other tips like this in the future but this was it! Hope you found it helpful!

P.S. On yesterday's post I told you about "Falling Slowly", the Oscar nominated Best Song from the independent Irish movie ONCE...it WON! (See below to hear song!) We were just so excited here for the two songwriter's here...and they gave such impassioned speeches! Great movie!

29 comments:

Mary said...

This is great! I usually just eyeball it, with the sort of results you'd imagine...

Have a great week!
xoxo,
Mary

blah said...

Tara - you are a legend! You wouldn't believe how many false starts (i.e. multiple holes) I have behind my paintings!

I am definitely going to try this DEFINITELY

And thank you so much for the lovely mention. I am honored to be in such esteemed company

amanda said...

What a great tip! There are always so many holes in the walls at my house! I will have to try this one! I change locations of pictures ALL the time - my husband will thank you for this when we have to move in a few months!

Thanks, Tara!
Amanda:)

Beth Leintz said...

I know I SHOULD hang pictures like you do- but I'm impatient, and usually just attack the wall with hammer and nails- and when I repaint, it involves lots of spackle!

Dena said...

That is the best decorating tip I have heard in years! I am infamous for eyeballing and putting several nail holes in the wall...in fact, if there is something with 2 of those little hooks on the back, I usually pass it up because I know me...but now! Oh look out! LOL!

Hugs,
Dena

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Tara,
I am really impressed! With design clients I try REALLY hard to do it right the first time. But the honest truth is in my own home I completely wing it. Yes, that often requires unneeded holes. And, if they have those two hooks on the back, well, I use tape, or putty to lift a bit to straighten out my error in judgment. Yeah, pathetic.
I love your tip and my clients will be impressed next time. :-)
Happy day!
Melissa

CIELO said...

Ah, but that's talent in itself! I can't even do that... is usually my sweet husband who hangs things for me... so there, give yourself a "10"! (lol)

You have a lovely blog, I particularly love your banner. Thank you for visitng my house in the roses. Pl/come back soon!

Cielo

Rhondi said...

Hi Tara That is a great tip. I am the "several holes in the wall" type. I wil definitely try your tip.
As far as Myrtle Beach, I don't have any tips for you. All we did was walk the beach, read, play games. We didn't go out anywhere.

Elle Jay Bee said...

Oh yes you are talented!! And meticulous...which goes a long way towards a great look!! I'm a lazy hanger in my home...nail holes don't faze me, but they do make my hubby see red!!

I love what you did with your daughter's room...not talented indeed!??!! Oh, and I think you win good mummy awards for involving her in the process!

Linda
xoxo

Unknown said...

Tara,

I have to admit it, I wing it too!!
I just sort of line up and start hammering....I should do it your way! Thanks for showing me...

annie

Shabby Shop said...

As the queen of walls with many holes, my husband would like to thank you! Blessings... Polly

John-Michael said...

A lifetime of perforated walls and frustrated efforts are now at a wearied end.

Bless you, you clever dickens!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Great tip Tara! I can see how easy it can make the whole process, especially when the hangers on the back of the picture are in awkward places.

I love the "clam shell engagement ring proposal" that you told ne about on my blog! What fun!

Sandi McBride said...

That was a lot of work Tara, but worth it to get it right! Beats my pencil marks all to heck and back!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Great job. I should do this and stop guessing.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Loved reading your blog.Especially about your voglia.Such a nice story.

Tracy said...

Great picture tutorial, Tara! (And btw, LOVE that bright pink on the wall of your girl's room!) I usually have let DH hang the pictures, he's so good at it...but with this tutorial under my belt, I can now stun him with excellently hung pictures! Off to get a hammer...Happy Day ((HUGS))

Donna said...

Hi Tara,
Great tip for hanging a picture! I usually hang it and then stand back and look.
Thanks for visiting my blog. BTW, I love the music in your previous post, think I'll rent the movie.
Hugs,
Donna

Mary said...

I cannot begin to tell you how much I need this tip! The multiple holes in the wall behind each picture just might give you a hint.

Thanks for all your sweet comments.
Mary

Sandra Evertson said...

Cool, very smart!
Sandra Evertson

Cottage Contessa said...

Where have you been all my life?! Such a simple but BRILLIANT idea you had there sweetie, thank you for sharing this! No more Swiss cheese looking walls for me! lol
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Anonymous said...

You have much greater patience than I do. Hope your day went well. :)
Alexandra

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Tara,
Thanks for the tip, I'm one of those mutliple nail holes kinda gals....haaaa! You done good!
Rose

Kathleen Grace said...

Hanging a picture straight is a very important skill! Thanks for sharing. I usually make a good guess and then use a little sticky tack to make it hang straight! LOL

A Romantic Porch said...

Tara, That is FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing it! I'll keep that in mind. xo Rachel

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

You are so clever! Your meal looks delicious and the setting is pretty. I'll be right over!

MeMeMe said...

wow!!! thank you for sharing, Tara. Now I am eager to hang things...

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I have a shelf and photo hanging coming up soon and have been a tad too nervous to pound into my newly painted walls! This helps!

Denise Kiggan said...

Thanks for the tut! It is always interesting to see how others manage to think of clever ways to get difficult jobs done!